As with any marketing activity, it’s important to know whether your efforts are having a real and lasting impact. It is important to determine what your goals are and put realistic measures in place to help you achieve them. Some measurement indicators could be:
- Shares and likes – how many shares, mentions, (retweets) or likes are your posts (and tweets) getting?
- Customer engagement – how many of your past or existing customers have connected with you on social media? How many have recommended you on social media or passed on a link to your page?
- Visibility and sales – has your social media presence lead to sales, new business or other offline opportunities?
- Web traffic – what percentage of your web traffic comes via social media sites? (this can be determined by looking at your website’s analytics).
- Search engines – is your website showing up higher in search results since starting your social media activities?
- Followers/subscribers – how many people are following or subscribing to your page?
- Email list – if you are gathering email addresses how fast has your list grown?
- For YouTube – how many views have each of your videos received?
Some popular free tools to assist with measuring your impact are:
- Google Analytics
- Twitter Search
- Facebook Insights
- Google Alerts
- Social Mention